Living in a community is an integral part of living life whether human or animal.For animals a community is the jungles and for us it is our cities and personal colonies. It is one of our survival necessities though it has its pluses and minuses.
A Community Letter is a letter that is primarily written by a representative of the community or association of a particular locality to the residents of that locality. The purpose of the letter could be to inform about some new developments in the vicinity or to invite residents to some program being conducted in the locality.
A Community Letter should always be written on the association letterhead indicating that it is official in nature. Since the association or community has been elected or selected by its residents only, it is fine if the letter is addressed to the community at large and not to individual residents. The Community Letter should always be sent well in advance to retain its importance.
DOS AND DON’T’S OF COMMUNITY LETTER
- A Community Letter is the source through which the residents are made aware of any happenings or developments in their community
- It should always be on the community letterhead to maintain its official nature
- A Community Letter should be sent well ahead of the program or just as soon as a new development needs to be shared
- The language of the Community Letter should be simple so that everyone can understand it comfortably
- It should always be signed by the signing authority in the community
- The information that the Community Letteris trying to give should always be backed by reference to a meeting that decided it
- A Community Letter should always have a reference number on it so that if ever there is a need to go back to the letter, it is possible easily
- If any contributions are expected from the community residents then that too should form a part of the Community Letter
SAMPLE COMMUNITY LETTER
Dear Community Members
The last Community office holders’ meeting was held on ________ (date) at __________(venue) to discuss the following agenda points:
In the same meeting it was decided that a Community Lunch would be organized to welcome 2010. We would like it if you to please suggest some dates when it can be organized. A suggestion came from one of the office holders that each family could be asked to pay Rs. _________ as contribution towards the lunch.
We would appreciate inputs and feedback from all of you that should reach us latest by _________ (date). In the absence of any inputs the office holders will have to take their own decision.
Please feel free to contact the community office from Monday to Friday between 4:00PM and 8:00PM.
We promise you loads of fun at the lunch.
(Name and designation of the office holder)