How you resign and leave your job is more important than you might think. The methods you use can have a lasting impact on your career for years to come, especially when it comes to references. An essential part of resigning from any job is writing a well thought out and proper resignation letter. Use our free sample letter of resignation template below to help you get started. Keep reading below for a free sample resignation letter, additional tips and links to other resources.
Tips: How to Write a Letter of Resignation
- Include the effective date of your resignation and the date of your departure. Check your employment agreement and company policy regarding how much notice you should give. Be aware that some companies may require your immediate departure as soon as they receive your resignation.
- Be concise and stay on topic.
- Use a proper business letter format – See our free Business Letter Template
- Even if you want to resign in person, have a letter ready to hand over. Many companies require written communication for employment records.
- Keep a positive tone before and after delivering the news. Avoid negative or personal attacks. Avoid using the word “quit”.
- Try to give sufficient notice when resigning or leaving your job. Sudden departures with no notice can have lasting negative effects.
- Be aware of the need for future references. Plan before leaving who you will invite to be a reference and get their contact information.
- You may want to provide an explanation for your departure, to help ease tensions and help you leave on a positive note.
- Express willingness to help with the transition.
- If leaving immediately, make sure to include personal contact information.
Sample Resignation Letter 1:
Carrie P. Brown
1357 Arthur Avenue
Leonore, IL 61332
26th August 2010
Dear Ms. Brown
This is in reference to your letter of resignation submitted on 20 August 2010. I wish to inform you that your resignation has been approved by the organization and you will be relieved of your responsibilities at the end of your last working day on 30 September 2010.
Your resignation letter has been forwarded to the Finance Department for processing any dues and you can clear other exit procedures before the last day of work with us.
It has been a pleasure having you as one of our employees and we wish you success in your future undertakings. Company will miss your good behaviour, hard work and the heights you gave to the company with your strong determination and support.
With best regards,
Sample Resignation Letter 2:
Joshua C. Callender
345 Melville Street
Memphis, TN 38118
Jewell G. Huckins
Hopewell Junction, NY 12533
19th December 2009
Dear Ms. Huckins
I am writing to tender in my resignation as a Sales Executive in MayorMiles Company.
I want to bring your attention to the poor work conditions at the Sales Department, which I have informed not only the Department Head but your kind self also. However, no positive action was taken to rectify the situation after 6 months.
Therefore, I have decided to submit this letter of resignation, as the conditions are not conducive for my productivity.
I trust that the company will clear any outstanding dues to me quickly before my last day at work here, which is the end of this month.
Letter of Resignation Template
Use our free Letter of Resignation Template to help you get started with your big career change. Simply download the .doc file and customize it for your situation. If you need additional help with how to word things, or are resigning under specific circumstances (like retirement), check out some of the sample letters below.
Or Use your Template Generator to write the perfect letter.