The President is amongst the busiest people in the country. S/he is responsible for lot of decisions that need to be taken for the overall development of the country. So only if the issue is of immense importance only then a letter be written to the President. Basically the issue should be such that it impacts and benefits the country at large and is not an individual issue.
The issues for which the President can be written to:
- Security issue
- Integrity issue
- Community issue
- Environment issue
Since it is not easy to get to the President, all letters go through her/his office before reaching her/him. So one must be careful what to write because they open each and every letter that is addressed to the President for security reasons.
DOS AND DON’T’S OF LETTER TO PRESIDENT
- A Letter to the President should only be written if the issue being written about impacts and benefits the society or country at large
- Since there is very tight security for this head of state, the content of the letter should be very transparent
- The name, address and other contact details of the sender should be clearly mentioned in the letter for two reasons – one reason being security and authenticity of sender and second reason is if the writer needs to be contacted
- The letter should be brief and to the point
- It could be hand written or typed but a typed letter is always better and neater
- The issue should always be supported with live examples for it to become a strong case
- If a problem is being given it is very important if some solutions are also suggested
- A Letter to the President is addressed to the President but is sent to her/his office so the office address should be correct to ensure that it reaches its destination
- No grammatical errors and punctuation errors are acceptable in the Letter to the President
SAMPLE LETTER TO PRESIDENT
(This is a letter written to resolve the stray dogs menace in the city)
____________ (Name and address of sender)
Subject: Resolving the growing stray dog menace in the city
My name is _____________ and I am a resident of ____________. Our colony is facing this strange stray dog menace for the last 2 years or so. They are just increasing by the dozens and one lady in our colony gives them food so they just do not move out of here. These dogs have caused many casualties in the colony. As I read the news every day we have been given to understand that this is a similar problem in many colonies in the city.
Our colony has come up with a solution but we need your approval on the same to ensure that the office bearers of all government departments whose help we will require expedite it. A plot of unused land is given out in the President’s name where all these dogs can be kept. A few caretakers may be hired to help the dogs with their food, etc.
If we get your approval on this we can implement this in the entire city to help all residents.
A few of us can come to meet you to give you cost details of the project. May we request you to please give us some time to meet you and talk to you at length about this?
Hoping for a positive response from your end.
(Name of sender)