An individual or group or company get take a membership for anything such as a club, swimming pool, community, gymnasium, sports complex, etc. But apart from just taking the membership there are many other commitments that one needs to fulfill to retain the membership. There are a lot of ethical norms that both, the institution as well as its members, need to abide by. Since a membership of some institutions of repute holds a snob value, the Membership Letter becomes a very important document to possess.
A Membership Letter can be a two-way communication, one where an individual writes to an institution showing interest for its membership and two where the institution accepts or offers membership to the applicant. A Membership Letter given by an institution is normally given only in response to an application for a membership request. It should clearly indicate details of the membership that is being offered or has been accepted. It should also give details of the terms and conditions under which the membership will be considered valid. Rules and regulations of every institution are different and they too should be communicated in the Membership Letter to avoid any ambiguity.
The validity of the membership is important information that the Membership Letter should have. Details of all applicable charges are equally important. Who all can avail of the membership should also be clearly mentioned in the Membership Letter.
DOS AND DON’T’S OF MEMBERSHIP LETTER
- Since a Membership Letter is usually in response to a membership request, it should give reference of that request
- Terms and conditions within which the membership holds true is an important component of the Membership Letter
- Rules and regulations of the institution should also be clearly mentioned in the letter
- The Membership Letter should clearly indicate the name of membership offered
- Who all can avail of the offered membership should also be mentioned in the letter
- Applicable charges to keep the membership going should also be made known to the member
- A Membership Letter is a very important official document both for the institution as well as the member so it should be given on the letterhead of the institution
SAMPLE MEMBERSHIP LETTER
____________(Name and address of applicant)
Subject: Application for our pool membership
This is in response to your application for membership of our swimming pool.
We are pleased to offer you a permanent membership of our pool. Your membership begins on ____________ (date) and will be valid for a year. After completion of a year you will have to pay our renewal charges applicable at the time of renewal.
We would like to inform you this membership is valid only for you, your spouse and children below 18 years. You will need to furnish their details for our records in order to get their membership activated.
A copy of our terms and conditions as well as rules and regulations are enclosed for your reference. Please note that any violation of these will result in immediate cancellation of your membership and the decision will lie with the office bearers only.
Please sign a copy of this letter in acceptance of the membership and return it in the pre-paid envelope addressed to us.
Looking forward to a long association with you.
Welcome to ______________ (name of institution) world.
(Name of signing authority)