‘Election’ is where an individual or a party nominates himself/herself or itself and then the people either elect them or not. But a ‘nomination’ is where people identify this one person or party as the eligible one and request that it be selected. The criteria for nomination depends on various aspects such as:
- Age of the candidate
- Time for which s/he has been a position holder
- Qualities that s/he possesses
- Contributions made by the individual or party
- Popularity amongst people
A Nomination Letter is written either by an individual or a group of individuals or a party supporting the candidature of another individual or party. This support may be either for the post of an office holder of the residents association, post of office holder of school or college committee, speaker for the locality, etc. This letter usually is a joint decision of a group of people who think alike and are on the same wavelength.
DOS AND DON’T’S OF NOMINATION LETTER
- A Nomination Letter should always be written by a group of people who are similar in their thought processes and bond strongest when together
- It should specify the names and designations (if any) of the people writing or supporting this letter
- A Nomination Letter should have complete details in terms of name, post nominated for and address of the person being nominated
- It should also carry the credentials of the person being nominated
- A Nomination Letter should never miss to mention the contributions of the nominee
- If the nominee has made some promises towards the society then they too should be bulleted in the letter
- There is no scope of any grammatical or punctuation errors in the Nomination Letter also
- A Nomination Letter should be brief and to the point
- It should give details of the position the nominee is being nominated for so that there is no confusion between candidates
- The Nomination Letter should also specify the date when the nominee will need to be nominated
- Since a group of individuals are nominating another individual, the letter should be addressed to the body that will be taking the final decision
SAMPLE NOMINATION LETTER
__________ (Name and designation of office holder)
____________ (Name and address of organization)
Dear Sir or Madam
We are a group of ________ number of individuals who have gotten together to nominate the name of Ms/Mr ____________ for the post of President of our residents association.
We are nominating ____________ (nominee’s name) for her/his contribution in the development of the colony without even being a part of the association. S/he has beautified all the children’s parks in the colony by planting trees and flowers all over. S/he has also ensured that all the swings in the park are repaired and functional for the use by the children. The lighting in the colony has also been taken care of by ____________ (nominee’s name).
Therefore, we all feel that if s/he can do so much without being an office holder, s/he can do wonders if s/he is given the post of the President.
The names along with signatures of all of us along with the consensus are attached herewith.
We are confident that ___________ (nominee’s name) will win with majority.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
(Name of one signing authority)
Encl: As above