A decline letter is written when a person or an entity wants to decline a request made by a person or entity. Usually, this kind of a letter is written by employers rejecting the request made by a person or even the interviewee writing a letter to decline the offer made to him by the company.
The reason for writing a decline letter can be anything. While writing a letter make sure that the words used are polite and professional since it is a professional letter. Make sure to keep the letter simple, concise and formal. Check out tips and examples below that will help you write a good decline letter.
Table of Contents
Decline Letter Writing Tips
- A Decline Letter should be written as soon as the decision to decline the application or offer has been taken
- Even though a request has been declined for genuine reasons, the letter should not sound insulting or humiliating for the reader
- It is the reader’s right to know the reason why the request has been declined, so the Decline Letter must state that reason
- The date of the letter must be mentioned so that the reader is aware when was the decision taken/communicated
- A Decline Letter is born only after a request has been conceived, so that request must always be referred to in the letter
- A Decline Letter should be to the point. A lengthy letter loses its entity and focus
- It should preferably be typed for that official effect
- No grammatical or punctuation errors are acceptable in the Decline Letter
- A Decline Letter should never sound as if all future doors have been closed on the applicant. There should always be scope for a new request later
- The letter should always end with regret to sympathize with the reader
Decline Letter Template
Date (Date on which letter is written)
Subject: Request for home loan declined
Dear Sir or Madam
This is in response to your application dated __________ for a home loan.
We regret to inform you that your application has been declined because the upper age limit for home loans is _____ years and as per your application you are _____ years above the limit.
We sincerely apologize for this but hope you understand that these are company policies that cannot be tampered with.
We hope to serve you on another occasion.
(Name of signing authority)