An Appointment letter is usually an official letter written either by the immediate superior or by the hierarchical superior to an individual who has been found eligible for the job advertised or applied for. The Letter of Appointment comes into play after a series of hiring procedures have been followed by the organization to eliminate most applicants for the job and finding that one suitable candidate eligible for the profile. The hiring procedures that the companies may follow could be classified in the following heads:
- Receiving the Application Forms from various candidates for the job advertised
- Scrutinizing all the applications to eliminate all such applications which do not meet the initial criteria of selection
- Calling the short listed candidates for the first round of formal selection, which could either be a group discussion or the first round of interview
- Another round of short listing while interviewing the candidates by putting the remarks on their applications itself
- Second or final round of interview with a panel of members so that the selection process is perfect and has inputs of more than one member to be doubly sure of who is being finally hired
Superiors or the Human Resource Department who are involved in the hiring process should really be emotionally tough as it calls for great courage to choose “the best among the best”. Meaning thereby that to say ‘no’ to all candidates except one is really an uncomfortable feeling – at the end of it the Superiors or the HR Department are also employees of the organization.
What level of individuals get involved in the selection process also depends on the size of the organization,say, for example, a small organization, which does not have a proper Human Resource Department in place, might choose to involve the Director or the head of the organization to make the final selection. However, large sized companies may have departmental heads to do the job and the only involvement of the company head may be to know that the loop of the hiring process has been successfully closed.
Points to remember while drafting an Appointment Letter:
- The Appointment Letter should clearly give the designation for which the individual is being hired
- The Terms and Conditions under which the hiring has been done should also be clearly mentioned. For example, whether the individual is being hired as a ‘confirmed’ employee or one on ‘contract’ to be confirmed after a specified period of time
- The date from which the Appointment Letter is effective should be specified in the letter
- Things such as the Leave structure also should be specified to avoid any confusion
- Period of the particular employment status should also be mentioned
- The letter should be addressed to that one particular individual whose name, address, etc should be clearly mentioned to avoid misuse of the document
- Who will the individual report into and which office base (if multiple locations) will s/he operate from should also be a part of the letter
- Information which needs to be emphasized should be typed in ‘bold’
- It should not be a hand written letter but a typed one on the company letter head
- The Appointment Letter should be signed by the highest authority in the organization responsible for the decision to hire the concerned individual and should also carry her/his designation
- Date on which the Appointment Letter is being issued should also be clearly mentioned
- It is the first ever formal document that the individual receives from the company, so it should be sensitively yet professionally worded
- It should be in duplicate – one to be given to the new employee and the second one to be signed by the employee and duly returned to then be handed over the HR department
SAMPLE APPOINTMENT LETTER (Template)
Address of the selected candidate
Date of issue of Appointment Letter
Subject: Your application for the post of _______________
Dear Ms/Mr _______________
We are in receipt of your application for the post of _____________. We are pleased to inform you that our organization has found you eligible for the profile described.
You are requested to report at our office as per address given below at 9:30AM on ___________ (date from when the individual is expected to join) in approval to your appointment.
Name of the Company
Complete address with phone numbers/landmarks (if any)
This is to inform you that this letter will be null and void in case you do not report at the date and time specified in this letter.
As per our Company policy, you will be on Contract for a period of _____ (specify the period as per the HR policy) and then, based on your performance and review you will be taken to the next level of employment in the organization.
During your Contract period you are entitled to take ________ (specify the leaves that the employee can take as per your Leave policy). In cases of emergency for any extra leave requests however the decision will be upon the management.
We hope to have a long successful professional relationship with you and wish you all the very best.
(Designation of the authority)
cc: Human Resource Department