An approval is always against a request that has been made. If the request is reasonable then the approval is given and if it is considered unreasonable the request may be rejected. An approval is a permission to go ahead and do something that had been requested.
An Approval Letter is written in response to a request. Since it is in response to a request, the letter must give details of what had been requested and what has been approved, especially if the complete request has not been approved. The letter must be have the full name and address of the person to whom it is addressed, so that the approval is not misused. It should always be on the company or department letterhead (if the approval is from a government department). An individual who has full knowledge of the request as well as the approval should sign the letter,as s/he will be answerable to higher authorities in case of any discrepancies.
The Approval Letter should be brief and to the point. A letter that beats about the bush looses its value against the approval given. The date when the approval has been given is an integral part of the letter. If the approval is time bound then the letter should also specify the deadline till which the approval holds well. The language in the letter should be as simple as possible.
DOS AND DON’T’S OF APPROVAL LETTER
- An Approval Letter should give details of the actual approval given
- Since all approvals are given against a request, the request details must be mentioned in the letter
- It should bear the complete name and address of the person to whom the approval has been given
- The signing authority should be the person who is aware of the entire transaction
- The date when the approval has been given is of great importance in the Approval Letter
- If the approval is for a limited period then the validity should also be mentioned in the letter
- Simple language should be used in the letter
- It should be brief and to the point
SAMPLE APPROVAL LETTER
________________ (Name and address of recipient)
Subject: Approval for construction of building
Dear Sir or Madam
This is in response to your request for approval to start the construction of the building, the address of which is ______________ (detailed address).
We are pleased to inform you that the department has approved your construction plans that had been submitted with the request. You may start the construction as soon as you want.
As per the rules set by the government, you will have to report about the progress of the construction to our department once a month failing which the approval may be withdrawn.
We hope you comply by the rules and regulations that have been enclosed with this letter.
We wish you all the luck and success in your venture.
(Name of signing authority)