A scholar is a hardworking, brainy and intelligent student or adult. A scholarship is an honor given to her/him. A scholarship is usually in the form of financial support either only towards education fee or towards education fee cum travel or a 100% scholarship. A 100% scholarship is where the entire program is free for the person who is getting the scholarship.
A Scholarship Letter is the medium of informing a student that s/he has been found eligible for the scholarship based on certain criteria. But this letter is given only to a chosen few. The criteria of selecting someone or finding someone eligible for a scholarship could be:
- Excellent marks in the school board or university
- Performance at the entrance exams for the school or college giving out the scholarship
DOS AND DON’T’S OF SCHOLARSHIP LETTER
- A Scholarship Letter should be handed over to the deserving candidate after a careful evaluation or scrutiny of the applications received – the lives of one or only a few is at stake
- It should be short and precise
- A Scholarship Letter should give details of the criteria for selection to keep the channel of communication absolutely transparent
- It should be typed and not hand written
- The tone of the letter should be encouraging and inspirational
- It should only talk about the scholarship and the reasons for giving it to the reader
- If the letter talks about the results of the concerned individual it is good because it really is a feather in the cap
- A copy of the letter should always be posted on the school or college student notice board so that other students also derive inspiration from it
- Always check for any grammatical or punctuation errors
- A Scholarship Letter should be given well in time so that the student who is receiving it can plan her/his future course of action
- The program for which the scholarship can be used should also form an integral part of the letter
SAMPLE SCHOLARSHIP LETTER
______________ (Name and address of the student)
Subject: 100% Scholarship for ________ (details of program)
Dear __________ (name)
Our hunt for the perfect scholarship-deserving candidate is over. Yes we are extremely delighted to inform you that you have been chosen for the 100% scholarship for ____________ (details of program) for this year.
Your candidature was found the most eligible amongst all applicants. The rigorous selection process included elimination on the basis of marks secured in class 12. The next level of elimination came at the stage of applications. Then came the group discussions. And finally two rounds of interview clinched the decision.
The scholarship entails you to free education, stay, food and books for this program for its entire duration. Please find enclosed a payment towards the total payment for the course.
Kindly note that the payment mode is valid only for 15 days within which you will have to deposit it with the college to avail of your scholarship offer. We hope you appreciate that this gives you enough time to send the payment across. After 15 days the offer stands null and void.
We wish you all the best in all your future endeavors.
(Name of signing authority)