Committee meetings are usually called by the higher management of the company when they need to hold important discussions regarding the functioning of the company or organization. Committee meetings are scheduled every month for discussions of the progress of the company and to update team members about business proceedings. Committee meetings are often difficult to arrange unless the management of the company has ensured that a committee meeting agenda has been prepared well in advance.
As committee meetings are monthly affairs employees of the company would have information about when the meeting is scheduled. However, the chances of committee members not being around for the scheduled meeting due to other commitments are quite high, especially in major organizations. Therefore the committee meeting agenda must be prepared at least a week in advance to ensure all committee members are present at the meeting on the scheduled date.
The committee meeting could be a discussion about the product or service, plans and methods of boosting the revenue of the company, discussions of company progress or even for providing the latest updates to the committee members. Committee meeting agendas are often prepared to give members of the committee and decision about why the meeting has been organized along with the reasons.
The committee meeting is always called by the president or the chairman and the invitees in most cases are the committee members that are immediately assigned the responsibility of reporting to the highest office.
While the options of inviting people other than the committee members certainly remain at the discretion of the chairman. Such instances are rarely noted because committee meetings on all occasions may also discuss confidential matters which the management of the company would not like to disclose to other members.
The agenda should be prepared in a formal language and also specifies the most important points of the meeting according to the information he or she has received from their immediate bosses.
Points to consider while drafting Committee Meeting Agendas
- The schedule of the meeting such as the date, the time and the location must be included.
- The committee meeting agenda can be addressed to individual members of the committee because the likelihood of companies having hundreds of committee members is far-fetched.
- The reasons for calling the committee meeting must also be specified and information provided about whether it is to discuss the monthly progress of the company, is it an emergency meeting or whether the company is planning to upgrade staff and wants the information to be known to everyone.
- The objective of the committee meeting agenda would be to intimate all committee of what they can expect during the meeting and the kind of preparations they should be making people their arrival.
The individual assigned the responsibility of drafting the committee meeting agenda would be well aware of its needs and should be able to accomplish the task without significant concerns.
Example of Committee Meeting Agenda 1
[From Name of the Company Along with Contact Details],
[To Name of The Committee Member],
[Title, Department And Contact Details Of the Committee Member],
[Subject Committee Meeting For A Fundraising Event],
1) Establish target revenue for the fundraising.
2) Determine methods to achieve the target by fundraising events, direct solicitation or a combination of both.
3) Set a budget for the expenses.
4] Choose a format for the event.
5] Determine logistics such as date, location, and catering.
6) Committee assignments for the event [assign specific tasks to members, review prospective donor lists].
7) Discuss the agenda for the next meeting.
Example of Committee Meeting Agenda 2
[From The Association of Obstetricians And Gynecologists Of XYZ]
Executive Committee Meeting Of the Association
[Date and Time Of the Meeting Along with The Venue]
1. Call to Order.
3. Approval of the agenda.
4. Approval of the minutes of the last meeting of the Association.
5. Matters arising during the last meeting.
6. An update on the activities of the Association since the last meeting presented by [the president or the Executive Director if present or other committees that are scheduled to be present at the meeting].
7. Report by the treasurer.
8. Other businesses [pending business and other matters listed for a discussion].
9. New business [list the points for the discussion].
10. Next meeting.
Committee meetings are generally not long drawn affairs and just involve a few people that are working in select committees of the company. As the top management of the company is also involved in committee meetings, there are unlikely to be extended beyond the schedule as defined by the committee meeting agenda. The top management has the discretion to involve some activities of entertainment or refreshments if they choose to do so but in other cases committee meetings generally, begin and end at the scheduled times. Individuals assigned the responsibility of creating a committee meeting agenda must consider the factors mentioned in this discussion and make every effort to ensure they do not move away from the specifics of creating a professional agenda which will be appreciated by the highest authorities in the company.