Departments in companies may find a need to get together with other departments regularly if business demands it. It is strongly suggested that departments do not consider holding a meeting without initially creating a department meeting agenda because they are increasing the likelihood of failure.
Meetings without agendas are unlikely to be productive because they do not have a set direction. The participants of the meeting need to be given time to prepare or even suggest modifications to the agenda by including additional topics.
The agenda can provide participants a reminder in writing of what the meeting will be about and the things that need to be accomplished.
When companies provide a meeting agenda to the participants, they will not have an excuse to feign ignorance of any issues which will be spoken about during the meeting.
Department meeting agendas are specifically meant for heads of department or even their subordinates which should be specified in the letter. As these meetings are between different departments of a single company they are often considered as internal meetings unless the company decides to invite outsiders for any reason.
The departments calling for the meeting must be specific about the kind of discussions they intend to hold as well as make it clear the number of participants that are expected to attend.
Department meeting agendas are usually created by employees of the particular department which has decided to organize the meeting with others.
The meeting may have been called for various reasons which could be related to production, finance, marketing, and training.
However, the agenda must be sent to the respective department from where the participants are expected to attend. Sending a department meeting agenda organized by the finance department to training is unlikely to be productive for the company.
Table of Contents
Points to consider while drafting Department Meeting Agenda Agendas
- The agenda for the meeting must be created early. Departments of companies usually have busy schedules and cannot spare time for a meeting without prior information.
- The objective of the meeting must be defined by providing a short and clear summary of the discussions which will be held.
- The most important issues which are likely to be time-consuming should be prioritized and slated for a discussion at the beginning of the meeting.
- The list of participants and their responsibilities must be clarified by the organizers when preparing the agenda.
- Departmental meeting agendas are between heads of different departments, and therefore the use of a formal language as well as opening and closing salutations is necessary.
Example of Department Meeting Agenda 1
Monthly Department Meeting Agenda
[From Name of The Organizers Of the Meeting]
[Date: Date of The Meeting Along with The Time]
1) Call to order.
2) Member and guest roaster sign in and introduction.
3) Presentation on contingency planning by [name of the presenter].
4) A follow-up discussion on an internship program by [name of the presenter].
6) Technology update by the office of information.
7) Minutes of the last meeting.
8) Report by the treasurer.
9) Committee reports been presented by departments of technology, training, and conference.
10) Pending business.
11) Fresh business — nomination of officers for the following year.
12) Scheduled date of the next meeting.
Example of Department Meeting Agenda 2
[CMS Accounting Department Advisory Council Meeting]
Introduction of members attending the meeting.
Approval of the minutes from the previous meeting.
Review of CMS accounting courses, certificates, and degrees currently being offered.
Discussion on online courses vs. on-campus courses.
Summary of recommendations made during the meeting.
Example of Department Meeting Agenda 3
City Council Finance Committee Meeting Agenda
Department of Budget Hearings
[Date And Location: Date of the Meeting And Address of The Location Where the Meeting Is Being Held]
9 AM To 9:05 AM — Roll Call of Council Members.
9:05 AM to 9:45 AM — Department of economic development and neighborhood revitalization by [name of the presenter].
9:45 AM to 10:45 AM — Department of Public Works by [name of the presenter]
10:45 AM to 11 AM — Department of Public Works by [name of the presenter]
11 AM to 11:30 AM — Department of Public Safety by police Bureau chief [name of the individual]
11:30 AM to 11:45 AM — office of the Mayor presenting the city Council budget
11:45 AM to 12:15 PM — Department of Public Safety by the chief of fire Bureau [name of the individual]
12:15 PM to 12:30 PM — lunch break.
12:30 PM to 2 PM — Department of administrative services presented by Dir. of budget revenues [name of the individual]
2:15 PM — adjournment.
Having a department meeting agenda will keep the attendees on the right track and also ensure that the organizers achieve the results desired.
The individual assigned with the task of preparing the department meeting agenda must ensure that the objectives of the meeting are specified by providing step-by-step details about how the meeting is expected to progress. It is the best way to ensure that things don’t go haywire and allow the organizers to have a successful meeting.