Organizing an event is always a tough task and event planners are usually concerned of making mistakes or committing errors which may prove disastrous. In order to overcome these concerns event planners generally ensure they have an event agenda in their possession.
Plans for writing the event agenda needs to begin the moment plans to hold an event are considered by the organizers. This is to give the event planner enough time to understand the type of event being held and to determine the kind of requirements that need to be put in place.
Writing an event agenda at a later stage will defeat the purpose of writing the agenda because it will be difficult to move things that are already moving in a different direction which the event planner may consider as appropriate. Therefore the event agenda must begin to take shape the moment the event announcement is made.
Events are usually attended by huge numbers of people. It may not be possible for the event planner to invite such large numbers by sending out a personal invitation.
However, creating an event agenda and posting it in public areas where it can be observed by everyone will give people an opportunity to participate either in the entire event or just a portion which they are interested in. The event agenda is just an outline of the event which can provide participants an option to decide whether they want to attend or not.
Points to consider while drafting Event Agendas
- Event planners need the entire information about the event before they begin preparing the event agenda.
- Event planners are aware of their job is to organize a professional event and therefore concentrate on being professional at every step of the way.
- The date, time, venue, and the duration of the event will also be a requirement demanded by the event planner.
- The event agenda should contain information on different aspects of the event according to the time slot provided by the organizers.
- The event agenda cannot be assumed as completed even after the document has been prepared because the event planner needs to work with the organizer until the event has reached a logical conclusion.
- Apart from intimating a few individuals about the proposed event the event planner must ensure that the agenda is posted in public places which have high visibility in order to get people interested in the event.
Organizers that ensure everything is taken care of by the event planner can rest assured they will have made an attempt to host a successful event.
Example of Event Agenda 1
[From Knox County Event Planners],
[Subject: Wedding Day Schedule],
Time — Person Responsible — Description
6 AM – Bride — Wake up It’s Your Wedding Day.
6:30 AM — Bride – Breakfast-Eat Well Because It’s Going to Be a Long Day.
7 AM — Bride — hair and Makeup.
7:30 AM — bride — dressing up and are waiting for photographer and videographer for before ceremony pictures
8 AM — flowers delivered to ceremony and reception venues.
9 AM — wedding transport arrives for the bride and attendants.
9:30 AM — parents arrive at the ceremony venue.
9:45 AM — greet guests and usher them to their seats.
10 AM — the groom arrives at the ceremony venue.
Example of Event Agenda 2
[From AFC Intercultural Programs]
Agenda for Special Event
Time — session — objectives
6 AM — breakfast at [name of the location].
8:20 AM — convene at [name of the location]
8:30 AM — introduction.
9:15 AM — sample session
10:20 AM – break.
10:45 AM to 12:35 PM — sample session.
12:45 PM — lunch.
2 PM to 6 PM — sample session.
6 PM — dinner at [name of the location]
7 PM — adjournment.
Organizations of all types can hold events according to their choices but are required to understand that giving the event the professional appearance will only be possible if they prepare an agenda in advance.