A keep-in-touch letter is an informal letter written by and to people who know each other. These letters are generally written when one of the two people is leaving for some other place. The person may be leaving for a job or for educational purposes. Such letters may or may not contain sentimental content; it depends on who is writing the letter. If a keep-in-touch letter is to be written to someone you know in an official or formal context, then the letter cannot contain personal details, gossip or even too much of humor. However, if the letter is written in an informal context, for example, between two best friends, then the letter may be long, sentimental and full of humor.
The letter does not contain any attachments. It is usually a long letter. The letter should end on a positiv. Ask about what is going on with them. They’re going to want to let you know what’s up, any big news in the family and important things. Ask about any siblings or their parents or any other close relatives. Tell them about what’s going on with your life. They want to know. Even the small things that happen to you could mean a lot to people who miss you. Letters can be a great way to let your pal know what’s going on with you. Writing a letter is the most heartfelt way of showing someone how much they matter to you.
Tips To Write A Keep In Touch Letter:
- Always express regret that the person is leaving. Mention that you and your friends or your team will miss that person. Never be too sentimental, but express genuine regret at seeing the person leave.
- Mention mutual friends that you might have. Also, mention social gatherings that you might have attended.
- There has to be a formal tone that makes the letter succinct, the way it should be. There can be some dawdling, but the letter shouldn’t be too long. The writer should get the greeting and the sentiment across to the receiver and end the letter.
- While writing such a letter to someone, make sure to inquire about the health and well being of their families, friends, and/or spouse and children. This will make the person feel even happier about being remembered by you.
- These letters are generally written only to say goodbye and maintain a casual contact or a deep bond with an acquaintance, a family member, a distant relative or even somebody you know through a mutual friend. ‘Keep-in-touch’ letters are also meant to convey a feeling of friendship or greetings or cheer.
Use our free Keep In Touch Letter to help you get started.
It’s only _______ [mention the number of days the person’s going to stay in town] more and then you will leave for ______ [mention the person’s destination]. It’s quite unbelievable how you’re leaving already. You’ll be missed badly.
Do keep in touch. It’ll be a great pleasure to hear from you.
Name and Signature.
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh,
Just one more week and then you will be leaving for the USA. I can’t believe it’s time for you to go already. I’ll miss our companionship and the time we’ve shared together.
Getting into a prestigious liberal arts college like Brown wasn’t an easy feat. But you did it, and for that, I’m extremely proud of you. However, I must advise you to be more careful, cautious and prudent, now that you’ll be staying so far away from all of us. I know I sound motherly, but I think you can understand my concern!
Do keep in touch and write back to me as fast as you can, with all the details of your trip. Can’t wait to hear from you.
The following is an Email format to be followed for Keep in Touch Letter.
How are you? It’s been a long time since I left for the US that I am writing to you. I am writing to inform you that I have been blessed with a baby boy. You must be aware that we are having a child after five years.
It’s a very happy moment for me and my family. I tried to call but the line was constantly busy. Please inform this to rest of our friends. We have kept a small ceremony where all my family and friends are attending. I will send you the photographs of the ceremony. How is your work; I heard you were on a trip to Singapore. How was it? How are aunt and uncle? I really miss all the fun we used to have at your place and I miss aunt’s homemade cookies. Here in the US also we have a lot of friends and we get along very well.
I am sorry I couldn’t attend your sister’s wedding. What is the groom doing? I heard that they are from a well to do family? Nice to know that she is settled. How are your son and wife? How old is your son now?
I am planning to come down this summer. Hope to see you then.
Keep in touch.