Good news can be about anything be it at home or place of work – marriage, childbirth, first job, promotion, etc. Sharing any of this is exhilarating and calls for celebration.
A Congratulations Letter is one such letter that acknowledges the great news and sends with it loads of wishes and blessings for the recipient. This letter should be sent as soon as the writer learns about the great news that has been shared with her/him. The tone of the letter should be as exciting as the news is. Adjectives such as stimulated, excited, thrilled, elated should be used in the letter. It should be so worded that it ends up bringing a big smile on the face of the recipient.
An official Congratulations Letter should be brief and to the point. A personal Congratulations Letter however can be slightly longer to give that personal touch. The letter should always talk about the news against which the wishes are being sent. It should sound as if the writer is congratulating the recipient personally. A personal Congratulations Letter should preferably be hand written to give it the personal effect.
DOS AND DON’T’S OF CONGRATULATIONS LETTER
- A Congratulations Letter should be written as soon as the writer gets the news
- If it is a personal letter then it should preferably be hand written
- It should be worded in such a way that the feelings of the writer get poured through it
- Efforts should be made to ensure that the tone and language brings a smile on the reader’s face
- An official Congratulations Letter should be brief and should only talk about the reason for writing the letter
- A personal Congratulations Letter can be slightly longer and can also talk about the reactions of the family members
- Careful use of adjectives should be done while writing a Congratulations Letter
- Before the letter is handed over please do check for any punctuation or grammatical errors
SAMPLE CONGRATULATIONS LETTER
(This is an informal Congratulations letter after getting the news of a wedding of a close friend)
Dear ___________ (name)
Hi! How have all of you been? Since it had been a long time that we chatted up, it was great talking to you the other day.
Getting married – WOW!! I am so happy that you have finally decided to settle down in life. Let me tell you by my experience that marriage is one of the most wonderful things to happen to a person. A relationship, a sharing, a bond and loads of love and happiness – that is what is marriage.
Please convey our heartiest congratulations to ___________ (name of the fiancé) and to your family as well. Needless to say, you can always count on me for any help needed during the wedding time.
Take care and stay in touch.
(Name of the writer)