Criticism is something that no one likes to get but still gets sometime or the other. The person who criticizes usually does it only after things have gone out of control and the person being criticized did not pay any heed to the warnings given to her/him. Criticism brings bad vibes both for the giver as well as the receiver.
A Criticism Letter is basically to put on paper the faults or mistakes being committed by the reader for which verbal warnings would already have been given.
DOS AND DON’T’S OF CRITICISM LETTER
- A Criticism Letter should only be given after a few verbal warnings have been given but not paid attention to
- A very sensitive letter, so it should be very tactfully worded
- Even though this letter is usually given by a superior to her/his subordinate, the tone of the letter should not be dictatorial or authoritative
- This letter creates a lot of negativity around it, so it should never sound threatening
- When the reader is criticized, s/he also should be given a solution at the end of the letter to mellow her/him down
- The letter should always be supported with live incidents to substantiate the very existence of the letter
- For official records it is always better if a copy of the Letter is signed by the receiver and handed back to the giver
- There should be no grammatical or punctuation errors in the letter
- The Criticism Letter should preferably be typed
- Ideally a Criticism Letter should be delivered by hand to ensure that it has been received
- A Criticism Letter usually does not have the word “criticism” written in it, it is just the tone of the letter from which one can make out the letter type
- If there are any repercussions attached with the criticism then they too should be mentioned in the letter
SAMPLE CRITICISM LETTER
______________ (Name and address of the recipient)
Subject: Suspended due to irresponsible behavior
For the last few days we have noticed that you have been misbehaving with your female colleagues. We have got complaints from a few of them regarding _______________ (details of behavior issues).
Keeping in view this behavior and the subsequent complaints, we regret to inform you that we are suspending you for a week with effect from today. During this period you have to come to office but you will not be given any assignments to work on.
Violation of this order will result in dire consequences.
Please feel free to contact the undersigned for any clarifications.
(Name of the sender)