A goodbye letter is used to bid farewell to a person or people by an individual in a formal or informal manner depending on the recipient and circumstances. Goodbye letters can be addressed to boyfriend/girlfriend on break-up, best friend, colleagues, coworkers, on retirement, on resignation, boss, spouse, by an employee and so on.
Depending on the closeness between the sender and the recipient, length of goodbye letters varies, but their general layout is almost similar, with minor variations. The sender should maintain a personal tone in the letter as if he/she were speaking to the recipient face-to-face.
Writing a Goodbye Letter Writing Tips:
- Begin by writing name of recipient along with date of writing the letter at the head of the letter.
- Even if the circumstances are unfavorable and you are sad to leave, be polite while mentioning reason for your departure.
- Whenever possible, express gratitude to others like your friends, colleagues and so on for support, guidance and encouragement.
- End on a hopeful note for the future like wishing your colleagues and organization the very best, hoping to remain in touch with ex-colleagues, hoping to hear from best friend and so on.
- Furnish contact details or promise to forward them later.
- Convey regards depending on formality of the letter and finally sign off.
Writing a Goodbye Letter Template
Date __________ (date of writing letter)
Dear __________ (name of recipient/recipients)
I am writing this letter to bid goodbye to you as …. (Cite reason for goodbye.)
I am heart-broken to leave, yet you know this cannot be avoided. I thank you for your guidance, support and encouragement. I will always cherish the time spent together by us.
I wish you the very best in the years to come. I will be glad to be in touch… I will send my contact details once I reach there.
__________ (convey regards)
__________ (your name)
Writing a Goodbye Letter Sample, Email and Example/Format
Date: _____ (Date on Which Letter is Written)
I am writing this letter to bid goodbye to you. After two years of applying to various universities in the US for my PG course, I have finally made it to one of the best university.
I am overjoyed but equally saddened to leave you and my hometown. I am excited, yet nervous since my departure from London is just three days away.
For twenty years, we have always shared our secrets, joy and sorrow. I thank you for always standing beside me during trying times. I will keep you posted on all happenings in my life. I hope we remain best friends for life.
You already have my e-mail address. I will forward my contact numbers as soon as I get them. I’ll miss you. Goodbye.
# 67 London
Writing a Goodbye Letter Generator
Try our letter generator to write professional, concise and quality letters within seconds.