A demand letter is a formal letter written to demand a legal obligation like correcting the identified problem, payment of money or even acting the contractual terms and conditions. This kind of a letter, in most times, include a deadline for action. It is any letter written in an official capacity to request something done or to make an official demand.
Demand letters are typically written to remind people about payments or to request the subletting of some commodity. A demand letter, for example, may be written in an official capacity to a client who has failed to adhere to the terms and conditions of a document and is, therefore, withholding important information from a company. In such a case, the company can write him a letter demanding the release of the required information.
Table of Contents
Demand Letter Template Writing Tips
- A demand letter is always polite but firm.
- Demand letters express urgency or emergency but are careful to not hurt the sentiments of the receiver.
- A demand letter may give the receiver an ultimatum or a final date; however, the writer cannot threaten to jeopardize the receiver.
- Demand letters have to make the receiver understand why it is that he/she needs to do what they are asking him to do, that is, the importance of the act has to be conveyed. For example, if a client is not willing to reveal some information about the company, the company can demand the information by explaining to the client why the information is necessary.
- A demand letter must be precise, and the sender should be specific in his approach.
- The content should be organized as well as the coherence must be maintained.
- The language used should be professional and the tone of the letter ought to be formal.
Demand Letter Template
Use our free Demand Letter Template to help you get started.
Dear Mr./Ms _________ [Name of addressee],
As you’d be knowing, ____________________________________ [outline the problem]. We kindly request you to __________________________ [make the demand].
In any case, we’re sorry for the inconvenience caused [apologize]. However, failure to ___________ will only result in the termination of your account.
Hope to receive a spontaneous action from your end!
__________ [Name and designation]
26th June 2011.
Subject: Outstanding payment
Dear Mr. Vikram Kadam,
As you must know after reading our Terms & Conditions, the payment of Rs. 10,000 that is to be done by you is necessary for us to proceed further with your case. We cannot be expected to function on your behalf and handle your work if our payments are going to be withheld thus.
It has come into my understanding that despite several prior requests, reminders, and communication, you have been unwilling to pay the outstanding amount of Rs. 10,000, which you initially agreed to pay in the agreement. If you fail to pay the amount mentioned above within the next forty-eight hours, the company will be forced to terminate your account and cease all activities relating to your business.
I, therefore, kindly request you to pay the outstanding amount. I’m sorry for any inconvenience caused. However, adherence to protocol is a necessity. I and my team hope you will continue as our client.
The following is the Email Format to be followed for a Demand Letter Template.
Dear_____________________ (name of receiver),
I write this letter to legally inform you that you are neglecting our terms mentioned in our contract and you have to pay the sum mentioned in our contract as soon as possible.
[a clear picture of the office committed by receiver]
If you don’t pay the repayment soon, then you’ll need to face legal consequences.
Kindly keep this in your mind.