A holiday request letter is usually written by an employee to seek permission to proceed on leave. The reasons for availing can be disclosed briefly or politely mentioned as personal commitments if the applicant does not want to disclose them. The applicant has to mention the duration of leave sought, date of joining back work and also nominate a colleague who will handle his/her work during leave period.
Here are some useful tips for writing holiday request letter:
- Begin by requesting for permission to proceed on holiday by specifying duration and dates of leave.
- Mention date of joining back work.
- Specify reasons for proceeding on holiday or politely mention that you are requesting for leave due to personal reasons.
- Mention name of colleague who will handle your work during your absence.
- End by furnishing your contact details at which the company can get in touch in case of any urgency.
Holiday Request Letter Sample
Date: _____ (Date on Which Letter is Written)
Subject: Permission for holiday
I am writing this letter to request you to kindly grant me three weeks holiday from 23September to 13October2013 to attend to certain personal commitments. I will join back office on 14October2013. I also wanted to inform that I have not availed long leave so far in this year.
As I had mentioned earlier, I have enrolled for an 18 month PGDBA course through a Distance-Learning program conducted by Hudson University, Michigan. I have to compulsorily attend their contact program for one week followed by first term examination in the next week.
Since I have to prepare for the same, I request you to grant me holidays for three weeks and oblige.
I will brief my team-mate Frank who will handle my work during my absence. You can contact me on phone at 7638363545 or mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org for any urgent requirement.