What is the Dispute Letter?
The purpose of writing a dispute letter can vary depending on the situation. The reason can be anything related to credit dispute, collection dispute etc. Whatever may be the reason behind writing such a letter, it is important to make use of right letter writing format. It is the known fact that such a letter cannot be written in a pleasant tone. However, it is important for you to understand the subject of a letter before making use of formal language and serious tone.
The word dispute has a negative meaning and so people think that in dispute letter they can show their anger and frustration. But, this should not be done and you should make use of civilized and decent language. You don’t have to threaten a reader or play a blame game while writing such a letter. It is suggested to make use of firm tone but in a decent manner. In order to keep your letter crisp, it is advisable to not include any kind of irrelevant information.
How to Drat a Dispute Letter?
Here are the few important points which you need to consider while drafting a dispute letter:
- You should follow the rules of formal letter writing while drafting a dispute letter. To write such a letter, make use of write size and quality of the paper. Select the envelope that is matching to the colour of the paper, in order to give it a professional look. In this type of a formal letter, you should make use of white or a beige colour paper. Strictly, say no to bright colours.
- Some people choose to write such a letter on a letterhead of the company. If you do not have a letterhead, then you should write the name and address of the company on top of the paper. If you are writing a dispute letter on a personal note, then write your name and address on top of the letter.
- Is this your first dispute letter to a particular company? If no, then provide the reference number of the previous letter, in your current letter. Don’t forget to include a subject line. Mentioning a subject line can make it easy for the addressee to get the clear idea about a letter.
- Do you know the addressee personally? If yes, then do mention his or her name. If you do not know the addressee, then you can make use of words like sir or madam.
- While writing the main body of the letter, it is important for you to include the required information clearly. Give the reason for a dispute and if there are many reasons then you can mention them in the bullet points.
- Are you planning to give a big shot reference in your dispute letter? If yes, then don’t try to include reference because it may be considered as a threatening message. The abusive language is never welcomed in this type of a letter.
- Which type of font are you planning to use? Don’t make use of the stylish font but instead, you can make use of fonts like Calibri or Times New Roman. The information that you want to an emphasis on can be written in the bold letters.
- Close your letter carefully by making use of the right salutation and don’t forget to sign the letter.
- If you are sending any kind of document with the letter, then it is important to keep the note of the document. Keep one copy of the letter with you so that you can use it for further correspondence.
If you follow the details mentioned in the above points, then it can become easy for you to write a good dispute letter that can make it easy for you to settle the dispute in time.
How to Write a Dispute Letter to a Collection Agency?
Have you received the notice of collection from a debt collection agency? If yes, then go through the notice thoroughly. Do you find the debt amount to be inaccurate? If yes, then you can get in a dispute with a collection agency. This can be done by writing a formal dispute letter. Here are the few things that you need to consider while writing a dispute letter to a collection agency:
- It is important for you to verify the debt and the collection agency because it has been observed that the trend of fake collection notices has increased.
- If required, you can make a call to a collection agency in order to have some words with a manager or a supervisor. Talk to a person who has the authority to take any kind of decision- related to the collection account.
- Don’t stop calling a manager, until and unless your query is solved. Request a manager to send you the verification of the debt. You can notify the manager that you want to dispute the account.
- There are some important elements that you need to add in such a dispute letter like your name, address, name and address of the collection agency, an amount of the debt claimed, request for the judgment information, request for proof of the company etc.
- Sign the letter and send it to the collection agency. If the agency cannot verify the debt according to the federal law, then it is important for the agency to inform the credit bureau about the inaccuracy.