What is the Farewell Letter?
Do you want to bid the goodbye to your friends, colleagues or relatives? If yes, then you can plan to write a heart-warming farewell letter. In several situations, you can write a farewell letter like:
- When someone is switching over a job
- When someone has successfully completed the graduation
- When someone is planning to relocate, etc.
In such a letter, you can describe the challenging situations which a reader may have faced or the cherished moments of the reader. You can also wish the reader for the better future, in this type of a letter.
Components Related to the Farewell Letter
Bidding a good-bye, face to face is difficult and in such a situation you can make sue of the farewell letter. Use the tone of the letter, depending on the recipient. You should make use of the formal approach if you are writing a farewell letter to the boss, instructor or a professor. If you are writing a letter to your friends, then you can make use of an informal tone.
Different components related to the farewell letter are like:
Making an announcement
When an individual is planning to leave a particular job or an apartment, then he or she will make an announcement related to it. However, hurting it may be to take such a decision but if there is an important reason then definitely a person needs to take the tough decision. If any such announcement is made by your colleague or a friend, then you can plan to write a farewell letter.
Expression of gratitude
In a farewell letter, expression of gratitude plays a magical role. It is essential to express the appreciation when an individual is graduating from a university. You can show thankfulness to an individual who is leaving the current job and is planning to join a new company. Thankfulness should be expressed to your colleague for supporting throughout while working together. In a farewell letter, you can show love, care, kindness, support etc. to show your bond with an individual.
Why are you writing a farewell letter? For whomsoever, you may be writing a letter but it is important to share some precious memories in the letter. This can add a personal touch to the letter. An individual who is leaving behind can feel special when you share some special memories in the letter. Mentioning beautiful memories in the letter can allow an individual to cherish them for the lifetime.
Give the best wishes
Giving best wishes and prayers are the most important components of the farewell letter. You can send prayers and good wishes for the better future of an individual. You should always end a farewell letter on a friendly, humorous and a positive note.
What to Think Before Writing a Farewell Letter?
When to give a farewell letter?
Is the person you planning to give a farewell letter leaving your office? Do you want to give such a letter to an individual leaving your apartment? Whatever may be the reason to write such a letter, but it is always advisable to handover it to the concerned person on the last day itself. While giving a farewell letter you can also have a personal chat with the concerned person.
Do you want to make it personal?
If you want to make such a letter personal, then include the name of the people with whom you share some beautiful memories. In order to add the personal touch to a letter, you can add some humour, share experiences, say thank you etc.
Do you want to stay in touch?
If you want to stay in touch with a concerned individual, then do mention your contact details in such a letter. Talking about contact details, it can be said that you can add an email address, phone number etc. This can allow the reader to keep in touch with you.
Points to Remember While Writing a Farewell Letter
- You can write such a letter on a plain A4 sheet paper.
- You should keep the letter short and crisp because the person dear to you is leaving your office or an apartment.
- Address the letter personally to an individual, in order to bid a perfect good-bye.
- The traditional way of sending a hard copy of the farewell letter is considered to be the best way.
- You can acknowledge the concerned person in a farewell letter.
- Always begin such a letter with a positive note.
- Be thankful to an individual, for offering you with the right support and guidance.
- Begin the letter with the date, name and address.
- In order to use the right salutation, you can make use of the word “Dear” followed by the name of the recipient.
- Share some unforgettable memories in the second paragraph of the letter.
- You can also add a special photograph with such a letter.
- Wish good luck to a person for the better future.
- You can close a letter by adding your signature and name.
- Print the letter on a good quality of a paper.
- Proofread the letter properly before sending it.
Tips to Write a Farewell Letter
- Are you planning to write a handwritten letter? If yes, then make use of a fountain pen and not a ballpoint pen. Using a fountain pen can allow you to write an elegant letter.
- Are you writing such a letter to your lover? If yes, then you can make use of cologne or a perfume in a farewell letter.
- Don’t write such a farewell letter in an immature way.
Some Farewell Quotes – Use in a Farewell Letter
- How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
- Friendship is not about whom you have known the longest or who cares the best it’s about who came & never left.
- You have been great at your work; I am sure that at your new job your performance will be sensational as well.
- With your resignation, your employment in this company may finish but the sweet memories will always remain.
- Even if you know what is coming, you are never prepared for how it feels.
- Good friends never say goodbye; they simply say “see you soon”.