What is a Follow Up Letter?
In several situations, the follow-up letter is considered to be an important mode of communication. Do you want to consolidate the relationship between you and the recipient? If yes, then writing a follow-up letter can be a great idea. It can be written after a business meeting, job interview, business contract etc. In order to continue communicating with the recipient, you need to write this type of a letter.
In the early stage of a business relationship, this type of a letter is written. It is important to adopt the formal letter writing style. It is important to proofread your letter in order to avoid spelling and grammatical errors.[the_ad id="16620"]
Here are the two important reasons of sending a follow-up letter:
- First is, it can offer an opportunity to maintain an additional contact after a networking meeting, career fair etc.
- Second is, it can allow you to reconnect to the person with whom you are not in touch for a while for the job search.
Understand, that follow-up letters are different from the thank you letters. The main purpose of the letter is to show your thankfulness to someone for meeting you, approving your project etc. Thank You Letters are immediately posted after an event. On the other hand, follow-up letters are posted after several weeks of sending the thank you letter. It gives you the chance to re-introduce yourself.
What kind of relationship you share with the recipient? Depending on the answer to this question, you can decide to write a formal or an informal letter.
Sample Follow-up Letter Writing Guide
- It is essential for you to express your enthusiasm. If you are writing such a letter to a prospective employer, then you should know the way to persuade the person. You should explain the reason, for being a perfect candidate for a particular position.
- Writing this type of a letter gives you a chance to address some of the unresolved points. You can also address few issues which you feel were left unanswered.
- If you want to stand out among other candidates, then try to personalize a letter to a certain level.
- Repeat your expertise and state your skills that can make you look perfect for a particular job position.
- Highlight the points that determine your success and past achievements. Ensure that the letter you are writing, does not spoil your professional image.
How to Write a Follow-Up Letter?
The standard letter writing format can be adopted to write such a letter but ensure that while doing so, you fulfil the protocol of showing some professionalism. Here are the few things that you need to know, in order to write a successful follow-up letter:
- It is important to show your interest level.
- What kind of contributions can you make to a particular project or an organization? State your contributions aptly so that reader can find it easy to take any kind of decision.
- If you know the requirements of a reader, then address them one by one. Depending on the needs, you need to offer few important solutions.
- If required, you can also send reminders for meetings as well as the appointments.
- It is essential for you to give the sufficient time to a reader, in order to react to a particular situation.
- Whatever message you want to give in your follow-up letter, it is important to make it look precise and clear.
- If required, you can also add some positive aspects related to the products or services. You can highlight the benefits associated with your products or services.
- You can also offer discounts by means of writing such a letter.
- You can also provide, additional information and reference in the follow-up letter.
- If you are sending this letter after an interview, then you can send it within 24 to 48 hours.
- In case, the reader fails to respond to your follow-up letter, then you can plan to write a second follow-up letter. In this letter, you can include the copy of the previous letter.
- Don’t give negative remarks, in your second follow-up letter. Showing your frustration can make the situation worst.
- Whichever follow-up letter you are writing, but it is important to show your level of interest.
Ultimate Steps to Follow, to Write a Follow Up Letter
The First step is to determine your objective
Before crafting a follow-up letter, it is important for you to determine your objective behind writing such a letter.
- Do you want to clarify any piece of information? If yes, then you can mention it in your follow-up letter.
- Do you want to request a meeting? If yes, then mention it in your letter and give the reason for arranging a meeting.
- Do you want to maintain the connection? If yes, then you can write a follow-up letter and let the individual know about the news that you want to share.
- Do you want to say thank you? If yes, then you can do it in your follow-up letter.
The Second step is to introduce yourself
It is important to introduce yourself, in the beginning of the letter so that reader can find it easy to remember you. When you don’t share a close relationship with the reader, then it is important to introduce yourself at the beginning of the letter. Some of the common opening lines you can add are like:
- We met last week at…
- I was inspired after you spoke at…
- Last time we spoke…
The Third step is to clearly mention the purpose of writing a letter
What are your intentions behind writing a follow-up letter? Whatever may be your intentions, mention it in your letter because this can allow a reader to clearly know your motive of writing a letter. Don’t waste your time in adding an information that is not needed.
Add value to your letter by providing a good piece of advice, the new idea or any kind of feedback. To meet the business goals, you can also introduce the third person in your network to a reader, in such a letter.[the_ad id="16625"]