What is the persuasive letter?
Do you know the reason why the persuasive letter is written? The persuasive letter is written in order to influence the action or thought of a reader. This can be done by providing appropriate reasons or by showing some actions. While writing a persuasive letter, you can support your opinion by giving certain examples. In such a letter, it is very much essential for you to state you’re clear opinion. You can write such a letter to any organization or any individual. You can write it to any type of organization like:
- The school
- The bank
- The NGO
- The college
- The municipality, etc.
You can write it to any individual like:
- The CEO
- The director
- The MD
- The government officer
- The parents
- The friends
The main motive of writing a persuasive letter is to get your work done. The persuasion can be related to anything like sale, complaint, petition etc. It is essential for you to write the letter in a convincing manner. Some of the letters like a cover letter, request letter, complaint letter etc. are all the types of persuasive letters. In all such letters, the maximum amount of persuasion is involved from the side of a sender.
How to write a persuasive letter?
If you want the reader to agree with you, then it is essential to write a persuasive letter in a convincing manner. Here are the few steps that you need to take into account while writing a persuasive letter:
What is the topic of persuasion?
It is not an easy task to persuade anyone. Before you start your letter, it is very important for you to know complete details about the subject matter. What do you want? Why do you want? Give answers to these questions in your persuasive letter. If you know the topic properly in depth, then you can make the best arguments.
For instance, you want to convince your parents to buy a dog, then it is very important for you to focus on the main topic.
Do you know your reader well?
Once you know the purpose of writing a persuasive letter, your next step will be to know your reader. Try to find the reader’s belief, nature, weak points, strong points etc. because this can make it easy for you to draft a letter in a convincing style. Figure out the concerns of the reader and try to offer a solution, accordingly.
For instance, you think your parents are against buying a pet then you can convince them by stating some positive aspects related to the pet.
Is your argument relevant?
If you think that your argument is relevant and correct, then put your best foot forward. Try to justify your arguments, by giving proper reasoning to it. It is important for you to support your arguments with the facts.
For instance, your parents might think that you are not capable or responsible enough to handle a pet. In such scenario, you should provide them with all the details related to the pet food, habits, schedule etc. Show the knowledge that you have about the pet because this can support your argument.
How important is it to make the final appeal?
Don’t just end your letter in a rude or impolite tone. Make final appeal before ending your letter in a convincing tone, so that the reader can give a second thought to your need or argument.
Persuasive letter writing tips
Before starting with a persuasive letter, there are few things you need to keep in mind. Here are the few tips, that can help you to draft an appropriate persuasive letter:
- Are you really sure about the persuasion? Do you think that your argument is valid? Getting answers to these questions, can make it easy for you to write a letter with a right attitude.
- Conduct some research work before starting with your persuasive letter.
- Outline the main things that you want to add in your letter. Organize the entire matter carefully, so that the reader can find it easy to connect to it.
- Collect the required matter, that supports the persuasion because this can help you to convince the reader.
- It is important for you to be clear with your needs because this can easily justify the conviction.
- It is also important for you to know the personality of the recipient because this can help you to write the letter in a right style.
- If you want the response of recipient to be in your favor then it is important for you to understand the subject matter in a complete depth, so that you can draft a letter accordingly.
- You should try to collect information from different sources because this can help you to have enough knowledge about the subject matter and this knowledge can help you to write a letter in the correct manner.
- When you are trying to prove your argument, it is not always necessary that you are completely right and so it is important for you to figure out some pros and cons.
- List out few pros and cons so that on the basis of it, you can draft your persuasive letter.
- In order to get the basic idea of drafting such a letter, you can go through different formats and templates. Going through few persuasive letters can give you some idea about the writing skills.
Persuasive letter format
- Your name
- Your address
- Recipient’s organization
- Recipient’s name
- Recipient’s address
- subject line
- 1st paragraph (introductory lines)
- 2nd paragraph – (persuasive analysis)
- 3rd paragraph – (justification of your persuasion)
- Letter closing
- Your signature
- Your first name and last name
- Your designation
- Logo of your organization