What Are the Ways to Close a Letter?
Getting into any kind of conversation is an easy task but it is difficult to come out of it. You may feel awkward at times when it comes to ending your conversation. You may come across the same kind of a problem while carrying out the conversation by means of letter writing. Many people feel it easy to start the letter writing with a positive approach and continue to do the same while writing the body of a letter. Such people may go wrong while ending a letter.
Understand the fact that the closing of a letter can make or break your letter. It does not matter, which type of letter you are writing but it is important to close it in an appropriate manner. You can make use of a creative closing, then be it a personal or a business letter. What kind of response are you expecting from a recipient? Depending on an answer to this question you can consider ending your letter.
Are you writing a job application letter? If yes, then you can mention in the closing of a letter that you would make a call on a later date. This can allow you to further make it easy to carry out the conversation and get the job. Nowadays, there are many offices that like applicants to show some determination and make a call in order to follow up their own application.
In comparison to a formal letter, in a friendly letter, you can avail many closing options. There are many ways to close a letter. Closing a letter in a casual tone can become easy, in the case of an informal letter. If you are writing a letter to your friend or a family member, then you can close such a letter by giving regards to all near and dear ones. Closing a letter is not a difficult task if you maintain the same tone of writing, throughout the letter.
The Purpose of the Closing Sentence
The main purpose of the closing sentence is to clarify the purpose of writing a letter. Make use of words in the closing of a letter that can show your connection with the recipient.
Many people write the last sentence of the letter in such a way that they can cover all the important points of the communication. On the other hand, some people make use of the last sentence in such a way that it can provide them an opportunity to give some instructions. Many times, call of action is also given in the closing sentence of a letter.
If your main purpose is to maintain the relationship for the future, then you can end by saying that “you would like to continue the same kind of relationship in the future”. You can also conclude your letter with an expression of the feeling. If you know the purpose of writing a letter, then it can become easy for you to determine the right closing sentence.
Examples of Formal Closing Sentences
Are you writing a formal letter? Are you finding it difficult to close your letter tactfully? If yes, is that you answered then here are few examples of formal closing sentences that can prove to be helpful to you:
- Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me, if you have any further queries.
- We await your reply with interest.
- I look forward to hearing from you.
- I look forward to a reply at your convenience.
- Awaiting your kind response soon.
- I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
- We are looking forward to building a long-term business relation in the future.
- We look forward to a continues business relationship.
- I look forward to our meeting on Monday.
- I await your prompt reply with a great interest.
- I look forward to seeing you.
- Please advise as necessary.
- Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience.
- I would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.
- Thanks again for your attention and time.
- It’s always pleasure doing business with you.
- Looking forward to our successful relationship/partnership.
Adopt the closing sentence, that can clearly express your motive of writing a formal letter.
Example Endings, for an Informal Letter
Are you writing an informal letter? Are you finding it difficult to close your letter tactfully? If yes, is that you answered then here are few examples of informal closing sentences that can prove to be helpful to you:
- I can’t wait to hear your response.
- I am looking forward to seeing you again someday.
- Lovely to hear from you.
- Write back soon.
- See you soon.
- Lots of love.
- Let me know your plans.
- I hope you are doing well.
- Thanks for your letter.
- All the best.
- Please call me to discuss this further.
- I hope this information will be of assistance.
- Hoping to see you soon.
Adopt the closing sentence, that can clearly express your motive of writing an informal letter.
What Is an Inappropriate Way to Close a Letter?
If you conclude a business letter with an informal tone, then this can leave the reader feeling confused. On the other hand, if you conclude an informal letter in a formal tone, then again this would confuse the reader.
Throughout the entire communication, it is important to maintain the same tone of writing. Understand the fact that, “not closing your letter seems way too abrupt”.
Sign-offs are also an important part of closing letter. It is easy to end a letter with a successful sign-off above your signature. Here are the few examples of best sign-offs:
- Best – “Best” is the short and a sweet way to conclude and sign-off. It can be further extended by writing, “Best Regards” or “All the Best”.
- Sincerely – “Sincerely” is the very common closing sign-off. If you can’t think of anything else, then sincerely can prove to be the best sign-off.
- Thanks – “Thanks” can be used to express your gratitude completely.
- Warmly – “Warmly” can be a good sign-off, if you have met the person previously.
- With anticipation – “With Anticipation” can be used when you are writing a letter that is related to making an appointment.
- Looking forward – “Looking forward” can be used as a sign off when you want to end a letter by stating assurance of a continued relationship. It is a pleasant way to convey your desire to continue a relationship.
- Regards – “Regards” is used by many letter writers because it shows some professionalism and respect. If you want to add an emotional touch to such a sign off, then you can write “Warm Regards”. In a professional letter, adding “Warmest Regards” can be little too warm.
- Respectfully – “Respectfully” is a nice way to end a letter because it indicates that you respect the recipient.
- Cheers – “Cheers” is the kind of the British way of signing off a letter. Convey a friendly cheer because sometimes it may also refer to drinking alcohol which can be a way too informal.
- Faithfully – “Yours faithfully” can also be a good sign off because it can add a touch of loyalty. You can use it in a kind of a letter that might not convey any kind of jealousy.
- Hope this helps – “Hope This Helps” can be the perfect closing sign off if you are trying to offer an advice to someone.
Examples of Ways to Conclude an Informal Letter
The informal letter can be concluded with some of the best sign-offs or you can say goodbyes. Do you know that “Adios” is a Spanish word? Many people who want to close an informal letter in a stylish way, make use of this word called as Adios. It signifies a warm way to end an informal letter. Here are the few examples of ending an informal letter:
- Always and forever
- Missing you
- See you around
- Ta ta!
- Best regards
- Best wishes
- Kindest regards
- Lots of love
- Take it easy
- Yours truly
- High five
- Hugs and kisses
Sample Letter Closings for Different Categories
Business Type Letter – Formal or Impersonal
- With gratitude,
- Kindest regards,
- Thank you,
- Regards, etc.
Business Type Letter – Not too Formal
- Yours truly,
- Yours respectfully,
- Wishing you well, etc.
Business Type Letter – Familiar or Using an Intimate Way
- Best wishes,
- Take care,
- Until next time, etc.
Personal Type Letter – Formal or Impersonal
- Respectfully yours,
- Faithfully yours,
- Best wishes, etc.
Personal Type Letter – Not too Formal
- Your friend,
- Yours always,
- Much love,
- See you soon, etc.
Personal Type Letter – Familiar or Using an Intimate Way
- All my love,
- Eternally yours,
- See ya,
- Hugs and kisses, etc.
How to End a Business Letter?
Do you need to frequently write a business letter? If yes, then you must be finding it difficult to adopt different styles to end such a letter. However good your business letter may be, but if has improper closing then the reader won’t get convinced with the letter. It is important to finish such a letter on a professional note.
Here is the short guide to conclude your business letter:
- First, it is important for you to start writing a concluding paragraph. This will be the last paragraph of your letter that will give the overview of the letter.
- In the concluding paragraph, if required you can mention a thank you note. Closing remarks can also be added. In this paragraph, it is important for you to be thankful to the recipient for taking the time to read your letter and paying attention to it.
- While closing a letter, you can also add a line that tells the reader to get in touch with you for the further queries.
- Generally, in a business letter, you would like to maintain the future contact with the recipient. Mention this at the end of your letter, for example, “I am looking forward to our scheduled meeting” or anything like that. Add the closing statement, depending on your letter subject and content.
- “Best regards” or “Sincerely”, can be used at the very end of the letter. There are many such complimentary closings, that can be used in your business letter. It is suggested to not make use of closing that is suitable for the personal or informal letter.
- Following the closing statement, it is important for you to include your name as well as the title. Definitely, there will be a typed and printed name but that does not mean you get the leverage to not sign the letter. After the print out is in your hand, it becomes important for you to sign the letter.
- In a business letter, generally, the postscript is not included but if required, you can add it.
- Once you are done with closing your letter, then don’t forget to re-read it in order to find out mistakes, if any. Your main goal should be to maintain the professional image and this can be done by writing an error-free letter.
Here are the few examples of the business letter closing statements:
- I appreciate an immediate attention on this matter.
- I once again apologize for the inconveniences this may cause.
- I look forward to hearing your reply.
- I look forward to meeting with you.
- Please provide the essential advice.
- I look forward to receiving your response.
- If you require any further information, don’t hesitate to ask.
How to End a Thank You Letter?
Whatever type of the thank you letter you may plan to write, then be it formal or informal, it is important for you to know that the closing statement should always be followed by a comma. After that, you can skip one line and type your name. In the closing paragraph of a thank you letter, it is important for you to emphasize on the thank-you again.
You can end a thank you letter with the sign-offs like:
- With much appreciation
- My sincerest gratitude
- Very truly
- Warmest regards
- Most sincere regards
- Thanks for your time
- Thanks for your consideration
- Thank you again, gratefully yours
- Thank you again, yours faithfully
- Thank you once again, yours sincerely
Whichever type of closing statement or sign-off you select; it is important for you to express your gratitude in the best possible way in a thank you letter. It is important to greet the recipient in a polite tone.