What is the Request Letter?
Any kind of matter that requires polite and humble request can be put forward by means of writing a request letter. The request can be related to anything like seeking for the information, favor, permission etc. You can also draft such a letter in order to request a recipient for meeting, holidays, jobs etc.
- If you are a fresh graduate, then you may write a request letter for a job interview.
- If you are an employee, then you may write such a letter to ask for the promotion.
- If you are a student, then you may write such a letter to ask for any kind of information related to the university or a college.
There are many other types of letter, that may fall under the category of the request letter like:
- Announcement letter,
- Persuasive letter,
- Cover letter,
- Friendly letter,
- Cancellation letter,
- Maternity leaves letter,
- Love letter,
- Petition letter,
- Invitation letter, etc.
All these letters, sometimes fall under the category of the request letter because you can find a tone of a request in such letters. Request letters fall under the category of formal as well as informal letters. If you are using a formal style to draft such a letter, then it is advisable to include complete details about yourself and the recipient.
Some or the other day in your life, you may come across the time when you have to ask something from someone. If you know the right way to draft such a letter, then it can become easy for you to achieve the things that you intend to get.
What is the main objective of drafting a request letter? Depending on the objective, you can decide the length of a letter.
How to draft a letter of request?
- It is very important for you to know your audience when it comes to drafting a request letter. This can make it easy for you to decide over the content of a letter.
- Why are you writing a request letter? It is very important for you to write an answer to this question in your request letter. Determining your purpose can make it easy for you to draft a letter.
- How is your relationship with the recipient? Depending on an answer to this question, you can select the style and tone of the request letter.
- In order to write such a letter, you can adopt direct as well as an indirect style.
- If you are selecting a direct style, then it is important for you to write straight to the point without exaggerating. Further, you can give an explanation that supports your request and can send a letter in a polite manner.
- If you are selecting an indirect style, then you need to begin your letter graciously. You can also add reasonable arguments and background information to support the content of your letter.
- Generally, an indirect writing style is adopted when you are expecting a negative reaction.
- You can start writing such a letter by first adding your address and then the address of a recipient. After this, you should add the date without fail.
- Add salutation, keeping in mind the relationship that you share with the recipient.
- In the beginning of the request letter, it is important for you to get directly to the point. What you are requesting for? Give answer to this question, in the beginning of a letter.
- Why are you requesting something? Giving an answer to this question can support the beginning of a letter.
- You can also add some additional information related to the subject matter if required.
- While closing the letter, it is important for you to mention whether that the recipient can get in touch with you as and when required.
Tips to follow – To write an effective request letter
Take your own time, when it comes to writing a request letter. Sometimes, a request letter can change your life if you get a positive response. While composing such a letter, it is important for you to keep few tips in your mind:
- It is advisable to not write a request letter that is self-centered, but at the same time don’t hesitate to make a request. In this type of a letter, it is important for you to focus on a recipient in order to get a positive reply.
- Preparing an outline can make it easy for you to draft a request letter. You can also enclose all the related documents, with your request letter.
- Are you writing such a letter to the person with whom you haven’t spoken yet? If yes, then in the beginning of a letter it is essential for you to introduce yourself.
- How do you know the reader? Clearly give an answer to this question in your request letter.
- Once you are done with introducing yourself, start stating the main purpose of writing a request letter. It is essential for you to be straightforward, rather than adding the irrelevant details.
- Be direct, but not blunt while drafting such a letter. Your main objective should be to put forward a request in the best possible manner.
- Write a request letter in a courteous manner and give enough time to the reader to respond to your request. You can make use of the persuasive language while writing a request letter and ensure that you make a reasonable request.
- Requesting is not begging! Try to understand the difference between requesting and begging. You should also never apologize to make a request.
- It is also not suggested to threaten the reader while making a request via request letter. Be thankful to the reader for considering your request, before closing the letter.
- Always add your contact details, so that a recipient can find it easy to get in touch with you, as and when required.
- If a reader fulfills you request, then don’t forget to write a thank-you letter within a week.
Request letter format
- Add your name and address
- Add name and address of the recipient
- Add date
- Add subject line
- Add salutation
- Add introductory lines in the first paragraph
- Add request detail in the second paragraph
- Add intimation for the further communication in the third paragraph
- Add closing salutation
- Add signature
- Add your first and last name