What is the Sympathy Letter?
Showing sympathy is a difficult task, isn’t it? When you want to show some sympathy by means of writing a sympathy letter, you should select the appropriate words. Generally, people struggle to find the appropriate words to use in a sympathy letter. Demonstrate love and respect, while writing this type of a letter.[the_ad id="16620"]
In order to honor the life of a deceased person, the sympathy letter is written. You can express the personal memories and writing this letter from a heart can offer good condolence to the reader. Now whether you want to write or type this letter, it depends on your choice but generally, people prefer writing it personally.
Note down your thoughts first and then organizes them in an appropriate order. This can help you to create a proper structure of the letter. Show some acknowledgment for the loss occurred and showcase your reaction when you heard the news. Sincerely, show your condolences in the sympathy letter without dwelling over the cause of the death.
How will you miss the deceased person? Give answer to this question in your sympathy letter and also offer help to the reader, if needed. Maintain the expression of affection throughout the letter and also extend your condolences to the other family members.
Ways to draft the perfect sympathy letter
Here are the few situations when you can consider writing a sympathy letter:
- Experiencing death of any family member or the friend can prove to be the huge personal loss. In such a scenario, you can consider writing a sympathy letter.
- You can also write a sympathy letter when you hear about the sudden accident of any individual.
- Such a letter can also be written when you hear about the divorce news of any near and dear ones.
- You can also write it when you come through the news of miscarriage of an expectant mother.
Whatever may be the situation but it is important for you to write such a letter in an appropriate way. Here are the few ways of drafting a sympathy letter:
Be kind and understanding
Don’t play a blame game while writing such a letter, by asking a question like why you were not informed about the sad news? Be kind and understanding, while drafting such a letter. Keep yourself in the place of a reader and imagine the emotions that you may go through.
Don’t make your letter, too lengthy
The sympathy letter, should not be too lengthy or too short. You just cannot include only one thing that you are feeling sorry to hear the sad news and conclude the letter. You can share your thoughts, memories etc. in such a letter. This does not mean that you will fill two pages to show your sympathy. When a person is crying, it becomes difficult for him or her to read the lengthy letters.[the_ad id="16624"]
Be less dramatic
Don’t try to overdo, while showing your emotions. In such a letter, you are not allowed to be too dramatic. Making use of dramatic language can make your letter look insincere. Are you shocked after hearing the news? If yes, then express it in your letter but in a sincere way.
Being personal is OK
You can get personal while writing such a letter in order to express your feelings and memories. You can make use of a word like death and can also mention the things related to a cause of the death. People hesitate to express the feelings that relate to the death but it is advisable to not get afraid.
Write down some positive memories
How can you pay tribute to the life of the deceased person in a sympathy letter? It can be done by sharing few positive memories. You can share few happy memories that you have experienced together. This can make the reader feel good. Being sensitive is good in such a letter, but you can also mention few funny incidents that you previously shared with a deceased person. This can light down the mood and make the reader feel good.
Give some encouragement
The loss has already happened! Now you cannot control it but you can definitely do one thing and that helps the reader to overcome the occurred loss. Give some encouragement and say that you are always available with a helping hand.
Few sympathy messages
- We are sorry to hear about the loss
- We will miss him or her
- Sending comforting hugs and healing prayers
- I am so sorry for your loss
- I was saddened to hear about the news
- My prayers are with you and your family
- It was truly pleasure working with your brother
- She will be deeply missed
- With heartfelt sympathy
- We will miss her with you
- Wishing you moments of peace and comfort
- Hope you get well soon
These are the few examples of the sympathy messages that can be included in your sympathy letter.
Tips to follow to write a sympathy letter
It is important for you to understand the weight of the situation and draft your letter accordingly. Making use of proper stationery can make your sympathy letter look good and readable.
Here are the few tips that you need to follow while writing a sympathy letter:
- It is essential to keep your letter short and simple.
- Don’t get philosophical while writing this type of a letter.
- In order to take away the pain of the reader, you cannot do anything but you can show your help and try to minimize the level of pain.
- Start the letter by expressing your sadness and share few good memories.
- Never try to explain the loss, in such a letter and don’t make a comparison of their loss with your loss.
- Show your concern and best wishes for the family members.